Frequently Asked Questions

Choose a category below for our most frequently asked questions. If you don’t see the answer you need please feel free to contact the Township Administration Office at 215-855-0900 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, 8:00 a.m and 6:00 p.m Wednesday, and 8:00 a.m and 3:00 Friday, or email us at [email protected]

What is the mailing address and phone/fax number for Hatfield Township?

1950 School Road, Hatfield, PA 19440

P: 215-855-0900
F: 215-855-0243


Monday/Tuesday/Thursday – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday - 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

How many pets may I have at my house?

 Hatfield Township residents may have up to 4 pets.

Where do I vote?

To be eligible to vote you must be 18 years old and a United States citizen by the time of the next election. You must be a resident of Pennsylvania and of Montgomery County 30 days prior to the election. For your polling place Click Here.

For additional information contact the Montgomery County Voter Services at 1-610-278-3280 or stop at the Township Offices between 8 am & 4:30 pm (Monday-Friday) for a voter’s registration form.

Who is my trash hauler?

Trash haulers are privately serviced in Hatfield Township and they are at the discretion of the residents. Recycling is required and recycling bins are provided at the Township building.

What schools are in the North Penn School District?

Most Hatfield Township residents attend the following schools in the North Penn School District:

Hatfield Elementary School

1701 Fairgrounds Rd.
Hatfield, PA 19440

A.M.Kulp Elementary School

801 Cowpath Rd.
Hatfield, PA 19440

Oak Park Elementary School

500 Squirrel Lane
Lansdale, PA 19446

Pennfield Middle School

726 Forty Foot Rd.
Hatfield, PA 19440

North Penn High School

1340 Valley Forge Rd.
Lansdale, PA 19446

What is Hatfield Township's Noise Ordinance regarding trash trucks and construction?

Operating or permitting the operation of any tools or equipment used in construction, drilling, earthmoving, excavating or demolition work is permitted between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. the following day on weekdays or at any time on such weekends or legal holidays; provided, such equipment is equipped with a functioning muffler except for emergency work, by variance issued pursuant to § 184-9.

Loading, unloading, opening, closing or other handling of boxes, crates, containers, building materials, liquids, garbage cans, refuse or similar objects or the pneumatic or pumped loading or unloading of bulk materials in liquid, gaseous, powder or pellet form or the compacting of refuse by persons engaged in the business of scavenging or garbage collection, whether private or municipal, is permited between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00pm.

Where can I bring my leaves, tree branches, and/or grass clippings for recycling?

Residents may bring tree branches and cardboard (no leaves or grass clippings) to the Hatfield Township Public Works facility on the third Saturday of each month, from 8 a.m. to 12 noon.

Sign up for E-News to get the latest information on collections, or call the township office at 215-855-0900.

When are Township Meetings?

Board of Commissioners - 2nd & 4th Wednesday of the month - 7:30 p.m.
Planning Commission - 3rd Tuesday of the month - 7:30 p.m.
Zoning Hearing Board - last Thursday of the month – 7 p.m.
Industrial Development Authority - 2nd Monday of the month – 8 p.m.
Shade Tree Commission - 3rd Monday of the month – 7 p.m.

Where can you go to get your infant seat properly installed?

Contact the Pennsylvania Traffic Injury Prevention Project at 1-800-227-2358.

How can I obtain a driver’s license change of address application?

You can go to Penn Dot’s driver license and vehicle registration site at

How can I obtain a copy of a police accident report?

Online: Hatfield Township Police uses (powered by CarFax).  Please visit and have your name, accident date, and report number ready. 

In-Person or Mail:  You or your insurance company may obtain a copy of the report through the mail or in person at Hatfield Township Police Department by submitting a check for $15.00 made payable to Hatfield Township. If done by mail, you must include the blue card that you were given at the accident or the accident report number. Also include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Please note that, due to the complexity of some accidents, the accident report might take anywhere from 3 business days to three weeks to process.

What are the ages and weight criteria for infant seat and seat belt usage?

All drivers are responsible to secure children from birth to age four in an approved child passenger restraint system. The fine is waived if driver shows proof of a car seat. All drivers are responsible to secure children from four to eight years of age in a seat belt system and an appropriately fitting child booster seat.

All drivers are responsible to secure all children from eight to 18 years of age anywhere in the vehicle in a seat belt system.

How do I obtain a gun permit?

Pennsylvania Law requires the Sheriff of Montgomery County to process all Applications for License to Carry Firearms.

Please visit the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office webpage for more information:

What are the addresses and phone numbers for our local District Court offices?

Two District Justices serve Hatfield Township and Hatfield Borough:

District Justice Andrea Duffy 38-1-18

601 Bethlehem Pike Bldg. D Suite 100
Montgomeryville, PA 18936

District Justice Edward Levine 38-1-28

430-440 Pennbrook Parkway
Lansdale, PA 19446-2007

Are there parks in which I may walk my dog?

You may walk a leashed dog in all parks except School Road Park and Schweiker Park. In parks where dogs are allowed, they are not allowed on grass athletic fields, on fenced in sports facilities, or on playgrounds. Guardians are responsible for the immediate clean up and proper disposal of their pet's waste. The parks system also includes a dog park, which is an enclosed area where you may enjoy recreation with your dog off leash. The dog park is located within the Hatfield Community Park, across from the tennis courts.

What kinds of parks are there in Hatfield Township?

The Parks System has both active and passive sites. Click Here for a list of Hatfield parks.

How can I register for the pool and parks & recreation programs?

Hatfield Township has a Pool & Recreation Online Registration site. You can register online, in person, or mail registrations to 1950 School Road, Hatfield, PA 19440.

What is the mailing address & phone for the Hatfield Aquatic Center?

2500 Chestnut Street, Hatfield, PA 19440

Does Hatfield Township sell discounted summer/ski tickets?

Yes, Hatfield Township sells discounted summer amusement park admission passes and discounted ski lift tickets. View a list of available tickets.

Can I reserve Park Pavilions?

Yes, residents can reserve the use of the School Road Park Pavilion. For further details on facility reservations, please call us at 215-855-0900.

Are there any walking trails in Hatfield Township?

Yes. A 1 1/2-mile paved, multi-use trail, The Chestnut Street Trail, connects the rear entrance of School Road Park in Hatfield Township to businesses and services in Hatfield Borough's commercial district. The police station, the Township building, the Hatfield Community Park, the Hatfield Aquatic Center, the dog park and the Borough building are all located along the route.

Paved multi-use exercise trails are at Clemens Park and School Road Park. They may be enjoyed by people on foot, bicycle, and roller blades and those using wheelchairs or with baby strollers. The trail at School Road Park is just over 9/10th of a mile and consists of three large loops, all connected, that take the visitor through three different areas of this 35-acre park.  Dogs are not permitted in School Road Park.   Dogs on leashes are permitted to accompany their owners at Clemens Park, where the trail loop is about 3/10ths of a mile in length. 

Those who can handle more rugged terrain may enjoy the trail system at the Hatfield Township Nature Area, where a network of footpaths connect the meadows and wooded areas, and dogs on leashes are permitted to accompany their owners. The Arboretum includes a grit trail on predominately level grade, and resting benches complement the passive experience visitors may enjoy among the wide variety of trees and plants located there. Leashed dogs may accompany their owners to the Arboretum.   The Stratford Avenue Park, another park permitting leashed dogs, includes a grit trail, exercise stations, and resting benches.

Click Here for a full list of Hatfield parks.

How much is the EIT for Hatfield Township?


How much is the Local Service Tax (LST) for Hatfield Township?

$52/year ($1/week)

What company handles the collection of EIT & LST?

Berheimer & Associates,

Who handles my real estate taxes?

All Real Estate Taxes are collect by our elected tax collector, Christina Murphy. Township and County tax bills are sent out in the beginning of February, and the face value is due by the end of May. School Tax bills are sent out in July and the face value is due by October 31.

Christina Murphy lives on Lenhart Road just off Cowpath Rd and very near the Hatfield train station. Her business hours are listed on the tax bill. Her phone number is 215-393-1781. Any real estate tax questions should be referred to Christina as she has all the records in her office

What is the tax rate for Hatfield Township?

Please visit the Taxes section of our site for the most up-to-date information.

What building codes is the township using?

The township adopted the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (UCC). The series of codes included within the UCC are:

  • International Building Code 2009
  • International Building Code 2012 Chapter 11 & Appendix E - ICC A117.1 2009 Accessibility Code
  • International Residential Code 2009
  • NEC Electrical Coe 2008 NFPA 70
  • International Existing Building Code 2009
  • International Energy Conversation Code 2009
  • International Fire Code 2009
  • International Fuel Gas Code 2009
  • International Mechanical Code 2009
  • International Plumbing Code 2009

What project requires a permit?

Many different projects require a permit. New construction, renovations, other alterations to your home and even inflatable pools with filters require permits. If you have a project planned, please contact the township office Monday-Friday during business hours. Telephone: 215-855-0900.

How do I apply for a permit?

Click Here for a list of permits and forms. You can click and download the appropriate permit. In addition, all permits are available at the Hatfield Township Municipal Building during regular business hours.

As a homeowner, can I perform the work myself?

Yes, after completing the permit and receiving all approvals from the township, you may begin your project.

What are the requirements for a contractor to work in the township?

All contractors involved in new home construction or commercial work (Contractor, Electrician, Plumber & Mechanical Contractor) must register with the township. All Plumbers, Electricians & Mechanical Contractors must hold a current master’s license. The registration form can be obtained in the Permits and Forms section of our website. Registration with the State of Pennsylvania is required for contractors involved in home improvement projects.

I am selling my home; does the township require a resale inspection?

Yes, a Certificate of Occupancy for residential inspection is required prior to the settlement date. The form can be obtained in the permits and forms section of our website.

How many smoke alarms must I have in my home?

One smoke alarm is required per floor level, including your basement, and in all bedrooms.

Do I need a permit for a fence or shed?

Yes, this is a common question. If you plan to erect a fence or shed, you can obtain all the details and permit at the link Documents & Forms or at the township office. Fences may be placed on the property line but cannot extend past the front visage of the home nor can they be taller than 6 feet in height. The sizing/fees of permissible sheds are determined by how the property is zoned. Please contact the Hatfield Township Zoning Officer for further zoning questions and concerns.

I want to change my basement to living space. Will I need an additional exit to the outside and is a permit required?

Yes, a building permit and electrical permit are needed and the building code requires a door or egress window to the outside of the dwelling in addition to the stairs from the upper floors.

How deep should my footings be?

Footings must be at least 36 inches below grade.

When building railings, what is the required spacing?

Railings for decks and other residential accessory structures should be at least 36 inches high and balusters should be no more than 4 inches apart.

What are the setbacks for buildings?

Setbacks are based per zoning district.

Do I need a fence when erecting or installing a swimming pool?

All swimming pools require fencing. Above ground pools may have either a self-locking gate around the top or your backyard must be fully enclosed by fencing. In ground pools must have a fence surrounding it or your backyard must be fully enclosed by fencing.

Do I need a license to do business in Hatfield Township?

Hatfield Township does not require licensing to do business within the township.

Where can I obtain a solicitation permit?

Solicitation permits may be obtained at the Hatfield Township Police Department, 2000 School Road, Hatfield, PA (215-855-0903).