Most small and all large construction and home improvement projects require a permit. For example, installing a new pool, plumbing for a new bathroom, a new roof, or a fence are all projects requiring permits.

For questions: Review the Hatfield Township Code of Ordinances or contact the Building, Planning and Zoning Department at 215-855-0900.

Permit applications will be reviewed under the 2018 PA UCC and all updated references.

All residential contractors are required to be registered with the State of Pennsylvania Home Improvements Contractor Registration:

Electric Permit Application Submissions

Effective January 1, 2024, the following is the new submission process for all Electric Permit applications in Hatfield Township:

Residential Permit Application (1 & 2 Family Dwellings) - All Residential Permit Applications must be hand delivered to Hatfield Township municipal building with supporting plans, specifications and fees.

Non-Residential Permit Applications (all use groups except 1 & 2 Family Dwellings) – All Non-Residential Permit Applications must be submitted directly to United Inspection Agency with supporting plans, specifications and completed township application (no fees) using one of the following options:

  • Email PDF plan to [email protected] – 24 to 48 hour (M-F) turnaround time
  • Drop off at the Township building – 3 to 5 day turnaround time
  • Drop off at United Inspection Agency offices – Hard Copy Commercial Plans are reviewed in-house every Thursday
  • Mail to United Inspection Agency – turnaround time dependent upon mail carrier

716 N. Bethlehem Pike, Suite 300
Lower Gwynedd, PA 19002
Phone: 215-542-9977, ext. 110
Fax: 215-540-9721
[email protected]

When planning your project these resources may also be helpful:

Building Permit FAQs

Is a permit required?

You will need to obtain a permit for most general construction, plumbing, mechanical and electrical projects.  A permit is also required for all new and replacements of signs, fences, sheds, gazebos, pergolas, sidewalks, driveways/aprons/sidewalks/curbs, roofs, windows & doors, egress windows, siding & stucco, solar panels as well as swimming pools, decks and patios. Permits are not required for painting or wall covering, general landscaping, replacing but not moving plumbing fixtures (except water heaters), and cabinets or counter tops. If you are unsure whether a permit is needed, please call the Permits Department at 215-855-0900.  

How much is a building permit fee?

Township building permit fees can be found here (Schedule of Fees). Permit fees can be paid by cash or check made payable to Hatfield Township. Please note that permit fees are paid when application is submitted. 

Does the Township register contractors?

The Township does register contractors for new residential construction and all commercial projects. A simple application form can be found on the Township web site and all contractors must be registered before the Township can process any permit applications.  A Certificate of Insurance is required for all contractors.

How long does it take for a permit to be processed?

The turnaround time for a residential permit application is 15 business days and 30 business days for a commercial permit application.

Do I need architectural/engineer stamped plans?

Architectural/engineer stamped plans are required for all permits unless waived by the Township Building Department.  All utility lines must be shown on the plans and contractors must call before you dig - PA One Call, 1-800-242-1776, Pennsylvania law required no less than 3 days no more than 10 working days before you dig.

Are inspections required?

Inspections are required for all permits.  Some will require regular inspections at certain stages of the project and others may only require one inspection.  However, all work will require a final inspection and homeowners should be cautious not to make a final payment to your contractor until the final inspection is performed.  Inspection requirements will be outlined on the permit issued by the Township.

Does the Township issue Certificates of Occupancy?

The Township issues a Certificate of Occupancy for residential and commercial work as well as for real estate resales. A Use & Occupancy permit is required for all new construction, resales, title changes and change in commercial tenants.  The Township requires the issuance of a Use and Occupancy Certificate for a change of occupancy of non-residential buildings, structures and facilities where a building permit is not required. The Use and Occupancy Certificate inspection includes a zoning review, fire inspection, and HTMA sewer lateral sign off.  The Property Owner/Seller is responsible for this compliance.

Road Opening Permits

The majority of properties in Hatfield Township are adjacent to or require access from a public right-of-way. This could include a street, sidewalk or other form of public property. Work in this area is strictly prohibited unless permitting has been obtained and all work is in accordance with state and local specifications.

  • Any work within the sidewalks, driveways, curbs/gutters or street will require a permit. 
  • Always call before you dig. PA One Call, 1-800-242-1776, Pennsylvania law required no less than 3 days no more than 10 working days before you dig.

Floodplain Regulations

The Township's Floodplain Conservation District ordinance aims to protect areas of the floodplain necessary to contain floodwater, to permit only those uses in the floodplain that are compatible with preserving natural conditions and stream flow, along with promoting the general health, welfare, and safety of the community by controlling or preventing development in areas prone to flooding. The ordinance also complies with federal and state floodplain management requirements.

FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map

FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) are used to determine the need for property owners to carry flood insurance.  Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center to find your flood map, access a range of other flood hazard products and take advantage of tools for better understanding flood risk.